Vacation Rental by Owner Maintenance
The ultimate hands on experience is managing and maintaining your vacation rental on your own. Most property owners don't have the stomach for the hard work and dedication necessary to successful care for a rental home or condo but some owners wouldn't have it any other way! As the sole person responsible for your property your are eliminating any chance of something being missed or done incorrectly. This also cuts down on having to share any of the rental income with a property manager or vacation rental caretaker. Below we highlight some annual maintenance and general preventative actions to make renting and maintaining on your own much easier.
Although you are not able to fully control the condition of your property including when and how things break, there are a few steps you can take to alleviate the onslaught of issues. Doing each of the following will increase guest satisfaction and improve the overall condition of your home. You may be able to cut back on maintenance if you follow our guide on how to furnish your vacation rental.
- Repaint high traffic areas annually.
- Clean all carpets and upholstery bi-annually and do not be afraid to do it more as needed.
- Change air filters monthly. Lack of maintenance leads to issues with your AC and heater.
- Inspect and replace outside furniture as needed.
- Change linens as needed. If there area any fades, stains, or tears the item must be replaced.
- Lastly, listen to your guests. Sure they may have some crazy ideas but sometimes they are right.
Property Service Contracts
The cost involved with major issues can be reduced with service agreements. It is imperative to partner with companies that offer 24 hour service and a quick turn around. When a guest is in town for only a few days waiting a week to fix an issue is not an option. Do not skimp and select a more affordable company that does not offer a quick turn around. The compensation due back to your guest will be more costly than paying a few dollars more each month. Consider agreements with heating and cooling specialists, plumbers, and appliance companies.